In our Baptismal Covenant we are called to seek and serve Christ in all persons, loving our neighbors as ourselves. We are also called to strive for justice and peace among all people, and respect the dignity of every human being. To both of these callings we have answered “We will with God’s help.”
Our Outreach Committee works to inspire and support the members of our parish community in finding ways as individuals and as a community to make a meaningful difference in serving people who need help. If you are interested in becoming involved with the Outreach Committee, please contact Ashley Cameron.
Dental Kits Drive
CrossOver Healthcare Ministry is an outreach partner and grant recipient of St. Mary’s. Their mission is to provide compassionate, comprehensive healthcare services to the low-income, uninsured residents of Richmond. One of their biggest needs is dental kits that are given out after a patient’s teeth cleaning. The Outreach Committee asks for donations of: toothpaste (adult/kid), floss, and soft toothbrushes (adult/kid). Please place them in the collection boxes in the Café area by Sunday, April 9, 2017.
Interested in volunteering? Check out this form, and read about some of our offerings below, so we can help match your gifts and interests to St. Mary’s ministries and our world’s needs.
- St. Andrew’s, an Episcopal school in Oregon Hill that provides quality education to children from families with limited financial resources, is one of St. Mary’s outreach grant recipients. We match interested St. Mary’s parishioners with St. Andrew’s students through St. Andrew’s Lunch Buddies and After School programs. If you are interested in spending an hour each week getting to know one of the wonderful children of St. Andrew’s, or would like to know more, please contact Ashley Cameron.
- We help and support parishioners who are interested in personal, direct involvement with human services agencies to find areas that fit their interests, and respond to requests for volunteers. St. Mary’s responds to local, national and world tragedies by supporting organizations such as Episcopal Relief and Development and joining others in efforts to help those in distress.
- Goochland Free Clinic and Family Services: St. Mary’s launched and continues to support this comprehensive center for aid to the needy throughout the year with donations from our Outreach funds, in- kind gifts to stock the second-hand shop, food for the weekly food pantry, and by volunteering in many areas. The clinic also provides medical transportation for low-income, seniors, and disabled residents; case management to assist families at risk; emergency home repairs and financial assistance to prevent homelessness; financial counseling; literacy and GED tutoring; indoor plumbing rehab for homes without indoor plumbing; and emergency temporary housing.St. Mary’s was honored in the Diocese of Virginia with the 2004 Bishop’s Community Outreach Award for its work to establish the free clinic. You can visit the clinic’s site at www.goochlandfreeclinicandfamilyservices.org
- We provide dinners at Thanksgiving for families in Goochland.
- We host the CARITAS Wintercots Housing program. CARITAS helps our most vulnerable neighbors break the cycles of addition and homelessness to reclaim their dignity. Each winter, the homeless come home to the shelter of St. Mary’s Church for two weeks. Good hearty food, supportive conversation, a warm place to sleep, opportunities for showers and laundering clothes, time for games and movies are found in our parish hall.
- We support St. Mary’s Episcopal School. Our preschool offers financial aid to students otherwise unable to attend a private preschool.
- We provide outreach grants to charities in the metropolitan Richmond area.